HAVE A FALLS-FREE SUMMER!!!
Winter has its ice and snow, and spring brings mud and debris, but what falls hazards does summer in Ohio bring with it? As you try to beat the heat and weather summer storms, you can adopt some healthy habits to stay on your feet all season long.
- Wear loose clothing to stay cooler, but stay away from items that are so loose or baggy that they could trip you or catch on nearby objects.
- Wear sunglasses or a hat to reduce glare from the sun while outdoors.
- If your eyeglasses become tinted in the sun, give them time to transition before moving around indoors or in shady areas.
- Trade sandals and flip-flops for walking shoes that fit well and give proper support.
- Stay hydrated to prevent dizziness and fainting.
- Keep fans and extension cords out of walkways, and pick up any papers or objects blown about by fans or open windows immediately.
- Keep flashlights near your bed, in the kitchen and next to your favorite chair to make sure you have one handy if the lights go out.
- Don’t walk through water, mud or debris in outdoor walkways.
- Make sure rugs and mats are secured to the floor.
The STEADY U Ohio initiative wishes you a safe and happy summer. For more tips and resources to #PreventFalls year-round, visit www.steadyu.ohio.gov.